Tuesday, February 19, 2008

What I thought of "Dexter"



Photo source: http://www.cable360.net/programming/shows/20779.html

Cable television has been out of my reach for almost two years and I lost touch with what is airing and coming soon. Sometimes shows from cable TV are accessible on broadcast or syndication (i.e "South Park," "Reno 911," "Chappelle's Show," and "Stargate: Atlantis"), but then again I never have time to watch them because they're on at midnight or later. Lately, one cable show that I was able to watch for the first time this past Sunday was the Showtime suspense drama Dexter, which is about a forensics expert who secretly kills people who commit great injustice. As of last Sunday night, it will be airing on CBS.
If you're familiar with the show, or watch it at all, the storyline is interesting but the images I caught while watching the pilot episode make it look frightening. Even though "Dexter" is a good series to watch, it can push the limits to what's acceptable to watch. I remember watching an episode of "The Sopranos" and "Curb Your Enthusiasm" for BECA 370 and noticed that shows like these heavily use foul language on the pay-TV networks. The same could be said about "Dexter." However, since Showtime is a CBS network, the show had to be edited for language for its upcoming airings on CBS this spring.
Frightening or however you want to call it, I think "Dexter" is somewhat interesting to watch. While the current season on Showtime is on hold due to the Writers Guild of America strike, it joins other current CBS crime-detective dramas, such as the three "CSIs" and "NCIS" among others. Several major newspapers with critic's reviews believe that "Dexter" is worth watching. I agree with the critics and that's why, despite the graphic nature which freaks me out, I plan on watching the show's entire first season on CBS.

5 comments:

Mike O said...

Dexter is worth renting rather than seeing it butchered by the networks. It isn’t a gore fest but instead a look at how people use masks to cover up their darker natures. Michael C. Hall seemed much creepier on Six Feet Under.

Check out our website! said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Check out our website! said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Check out our website! said...

I am one of those who have never watched “Dexter,” but after seeing this picture and reading your description, I am going to check it out. As I read the reviews from the link you provided, I noticed that people really find this show unique. And the fact that this show is in the same realms as The Sopranos is great because though I don’t like drama in my life, I love watching it on television. Although “Dexter” is another crime drama show, this shows writing seems to have very entertaining content for its viewers.

Jesse C. said...

Please Please Please watch Dexter! Of all of the shows you mention, dexter probably uses the least foul language. The place where you are going to run into some censorship issues is the gore factor. But the story of the show is actually quite endearing and there are some really good lessons to be learned about the lengths we as humans go to be loved and accepted by those around us. All wrapped in the tidy little package of a serial killer!